It is the evening of Saturday 8th January 2011. The Bs have gone to Trento and I have had a few texts telling me they are safe etc. I spent the morning lazily, sorted the mail I need to do and then after showering etc and a number of texts with Robyn regarding the Hopman Cup, I went out. Caught the ferry from Accademia to San Marco to find the ferry for the three Islands trip. I was very early but everything moved nicely and I had that sorted together with the purchase of a book on Venice shortly after midday.
I then did some wandering around the lagoon area of San Marco. I found a very nice cafe called Al Vecio Penasa for lunch and had wine, ham rolls and Coca Cola light. The Gondola Guys were eating in the cafe as well so I felt this might be a good place for the locals.
Whilst having lunch I was watching the guy across the way managing the door of the restaurant opposite. He was not impressive and I think did more to discourage patronage than give people confidence to enter the premises. My lunch on the other hand was extremely nice. I then continued wandering along the lane looking in shops and generally getting some ideas for gifts.
During my wanderings I found a glass dog but they were all to prescriptive to breed and not suitable for Polly. I need something a little more generic. I had already purchased a small murano cat for Penny which is just lovely and has a hint of her colours through it.
After my lunch I continued to wander but was still slightly anxious of getting lost so I tended to stay around the San Marco lagoon area. I purchased a new scarf which is light grey and one complete round. €10 and nice a soft and warm.
Later I noticed a bride having her photo taken - it was quite cold and she was in a lovely strapless dress. Then I noticed that there were two other brides. They were lovely summer dresses getting their photos taken either individually or together or with a male partner. They kept moving locations along the shoreline with the water and the Venice skyline across from San Marco as the back drop. I am inclined to think they were modeling the dresses for a photo shoot rather than actually getting married.
 |
| Three Brides |
 |
| One Bride and partner |
 |
| Just a little pose |
 |
| It is cold and boots are sensible |
 |
| Three Brides |
 |
| Another Bride, another pose |
 |
| All three, what is to follow? |
 |
| That is enough, lets move one. |
Anyway back to my day. There was a wait for the tour, largely because I was early but later because it seems that is how it all works. The fellow organising it was very personable but the rest of the day was less that brilliant. we were to leave at 2:10 pm., more like 3pm. This may not have worried me so much except it meant we would not get back until after dark and how much was I likely to see during the latter part of the tour. I also had a dinner reservation and I needed to find my way back from San Marco. As a wise and mature woman I am sure I will cope. There were about 70 on the boat and about 5 different languages. English, Spanish, Italian, French and Dutch.
Anyway we got underway. The microphone was too loud. Unfortunately the guide did not seem to change or introduce the next language so she moved from one to the other and before you knew where you were you heard English but by then she was nearly into the next language. The microphone was the major problem.
Added to this I think she and the two crew appeared friendly but there was tension. There was no safety information, the crew were very liaise faire and good chaps but when the boat stopped at an island we were locked off the boat until they returned. The guide got on but the tourists were not allowed to enter until the crew arrived. The guide provided information about each island and then generally left us to it. Given the poor acoustics, information was scarce and ineffective. The three of them seem really detached from us.
Other than that I really loved the views of Venice from this perspective. The mist and surreal atmosphere was just beautiful. The glass blowing was interesting but the shop had little of interest. They showed us nothing more of the island so our whole experience was the wharf and short walk on the wharf into the Glass Blowing factory.
 |
| Another view from the Ferry of the waterways |
 |
| Not our Ferry but the same waterway |
The Torcello island was one of the first centres of civilisation in the estuary. Only the cathederal and the magnificent mosaics and the Church of S. Fosca remain as testimony of its former glory
 |
| Looking back to Venice from Torcello |
 |
| A monument on the Wharf at Torcello |
 |
| From Torcello Wharf |
 |
| The water way from Torcello Wharf |
The last island B was lovely. They had a lace making demonstration for us to see and the work was beautiful. The island is also famour for the fisherman's houses which are all painted in different colours. After that we had about 20 minutes to check out the main street. This was lovely with a number of shops open. By now it was quite dark so the street looked lovely all lit up. In the main square a number of children were playing Soccer and having a lot of fun. The other attraction here was the leaning church tower.
 |
| Heading back to the ferry on Burano |
 |
| The leaning Clock Tower on Burano |
 |
| The main street of Burano |
 |
| The expanse of water on the three island tour |
Before leaving the hotel I had booked the Tavern
B&B and I went to on our first night. I am just now back from Dinner. It cost me €17 for Penne and Bolognese, quarter litre of Cabernet, half litre of water and gelato, and it was lovely.
 |
| The Grand Canal from the Ferry |
 |
| Across our small canal to my favourite restaurant |
 |
| Stores delivered in the mornings |
On Sunday 9th January I caught the ferry at Accademia around the Grand Canal and got off at the railway station. There were several streets with a range of shops and I did a lot of wandering and purchasing gifts and things for myself. Finally found a suitable "Polly" back near the Accademia and the shop was not open. Every time I went past it was closed so I was about to give up but finally managed to obtain the piece today (Monday).
 |
| The ornament in the Gallery I want for Polly |
The day was very cold and damp and after lunch at the little bar along the canal I returned to the hotel. Spent most of the afternoon reading and thinking about the holiday. In Venice I have often remarked about how green the water is. A beautiful green grey and it looks so cold. Of course I expect it is. The other thing is that the maintenance on the buildings must cost a fortune. They are so old and obviously get damp but people manage to maintain them. This visit is in winter and it is obvious that the summer season would be lovely given all the outdoor areas the business make available in these small spaces. Often the B's comment how busy Venice is in other season and how good it is at present as there is space to move and get around to see things. I appreciate that as well.
There seems many places I have not seen like the Jewish Ghetto Museum, Island of San Giorgio and a few other locations across canals. It is only on leaving that I get a sense of the significance of what I missed.
No comments:
Post a Comment