Saturday, January 29, 2011

Barcelona - the early days

We booked in before going for a walk. A "walk" to the B's is several kms. On this occasion it was down to the Gothic quarter, checking out a market, having lunch in a lovely cafe which seemed to manage large numbers whilst providing a very pleasant atmosphere. This was named Cornelia and Co., the Daily Picnic Store. www.60by80.com/barcelona/restaurants.../cornelia-and-co.html The food was excellent.

The markets were to die for with lovely fresh produce of every variety. Here I am just checking out a few. The man at the chocolate counter kept watching us in case I took a sample.


JLK at the food Markets - Barcelona


JLK at the chocolate counter in the Food Markets - Barcelona


One of many beautiful buildings in Barcelona

Also whilst out walking we found a restaurant for dinner and booked in for 8:30pm tonight.
Back to the walk, in the Gothic area we entered the Barcelona Cathedral. How beautiful. We returned to our hotel and me to an upgraded room. I had requested this as the room I had originally was very small and left me feeling claustrophobic. There was a small window looking internally so was quite dark.

The upgrade still kept me with the B's on the same floor. The people are extremely helpful and the place is very well located and comfortable. The hotel is called the Hotel Granados 83. Web site. After a shower we went to dinner at the Alba Restaurant web address. Another good choice but I was not well. BJK has been unwell also, for few days now, with a cold. I thought I was getting it but did not have the usual symptoms. Felt sick on the tummy. After telling them about this they then regaled me with a number of tails of their own experiences and with friends which helped to take my mind off the feeling but ultimately did not stop the feeling. The meals were lovely. They had an entree special of their classic scrambled eggs in three varieties. I chose the one with ham. Interestingly they provided prices for a full or half portion. I had a half. I then ordered tuna with, ginger and soy - again with the half portion. The Maitre de informed us the size was not large and they introduced the half portion to keep prices down during the GFC. Clearly he considered as tourists we should go for the full portion and he made it clear the full portion was only small and I would be better with the full portion. Unfortunately when I ordered I agreed with medium cooked. It was too cooked, but despite this the overall meal and wine was good, as was the service. Fortunately BJK was as ever helpful and helped me eat the tuna as I was still feeling nauseous.

Tuesday, 4th January we had a very lovely breakfast in the hotel and then joined a tour of the city. This was several blocks away so we walked but went a rather meandering route. About two blocks away we got the taxi. BJK was amazed but BJL was concerned we were late and was not confident we were that close. Well, that is a story that will be told at many a dinner table and embellished as only BJK can. It was really very funny. The tour guide was the best so far. And he looked like Dean. His name was Jordi (George) which is a very popular name in this area after St George who slew the dragon. He was an excellent Guide and his likeness the Dean was a bonus. We walked around the Gothic quarter, saw the Cathederal and Palace and were told lots of very interesting information. At one point we stood where Christopher Columbus had walked when being presented to the King and Queen after discovering the Americas. Can you believe that?

We then joined the bus again and drove around the city viewing a number of lovely area including, the harbor, marina, Olympic village and other sections of the 1992 games facilities. Finally we went to a lovely former Jewish area that overlooked the city. It was beautiful with the city looking very white and expansive. On the way back we entered an area from 1920's that had been the site of an international centre which displayed the variety of architecture in Spain up to that time. It was lovely. Here we had some Cava and then wandered around for 20 minutes or so. I brought some lovely gifts, but amongst them I brought myself a lovely green wool scarf.

On our return to the city we decided to have lunch and visit La Sagrada Familia. We had lunch near the cathedral at a restaurant called Restaurant Diagonal, Can Soteras and it is known for its snail dishes. http://www.grup-soteras.com/  We did not realize that until leaving. BJL and I shared a risotto. Excellent - better than the one in Madrid. BJK had a fish soup which again he said was great. He did have several helpings. Then we moved off to the Cathedral. The queue was huge and we were told we could pre-book at the bank (will get details) by using the ATM. We found this but the instructions were unclear and we had some trouble. We then tried another bank and that eventually worked better but still the instructions were not clear and they did not have any English instructions. Anyway our technology and language wizard (BJK) won out and we go to the cathedral tomorrow afternoon. I must say though from the outside the Temple of the Sagrada Familia promises to be a magnificent site.

And that is not the end. We then went to an Egyptian exhibition. http://www.museuegipci.com/  This is a private collection not far from the hotel and for which we were given a free pass by the hotel. Apparently the exhibition has been there for about 29 years and is over three floors and is excellently displayed. Very easy to follow and is reputed to be one of the best collections available.
That was the end of me.

The B's went out again but I had a lovely bath and read for awhile and the slept the sleep of the innocent. I was exhausted. I must admit though the B's are excellent travelling companions. Extremely knowledgeable and well read about the areas we are visiting and very good to me as I am very unfit at present and as the day goes on, my legs are killing me. They cope with that very well and with no complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment