New Years Day 2011
The B’s are currently out having coffee as most services are closed today. I am taking the GPS for a walk later and looking for a local park. The B’s accompanied me and BJK led the way. A short walk to a beautiful park was more like 40kms. We walked from the apartment to RETIRO PARK. This park is very large (12 hectares) and lovely despite winter, and is Madrid’s most important park. This is largely due to the history as it was part of the Palace of Buen Retiro built in the 17th Century by Philip IV. The design of the park is a succession of spaces in which plants and trees alternated with ponds, statues or small shrines. You could wander for days and never repeat your journey.
| The Gates to Madrid - Puerta de Alcala |
| The main walk after entry to the Retiro Park |
| Another view of the main walk - note how popular the park is |
| Pond in the Retiro Park presided over by Statue of Alphonse XII |
| The B's in front of the same pond - not sure why BJL is looking so serious |
| The Crystal Palace at Retiro Park |
| An exhibition in the Crystal Palace of the best use of Plastics |
| Another area of the park with greenery and trees |
| BJL and JLK walking in Retiro Park |
| Still walking and checking GPS |
| BJL can help - BJK is being no help |
| We know how to get there anyway |
| Another area of the park |
As you will recall I intended to take the GPS for a walk so I could orientate it to the local area. It came in very useful but the pictures taken by BJK would suggest otherwise. No more will be said.
After leaving the Park we checked out a few locations for lunch, one of which BJL recommended. However, we continued further up the road (as we generally do) with a view to see if there was anything else worth trying. We found several but decided on one. This Tapas Bar was lovely but I was exhausted and failed to maintain any notes regarding its name or what we had. I was too hungry. It was in the Plaza Sta Ana. What you can be sure of is that we had wine, coca cola light, and plenty of Tapas. Added to this there were only stools to sit on. I find them difficult and as the stool was small (smaller than my bum as Brian pointed out) I found it difficult to balance. However, being as capable as I am, I managed.
On returning to the apartment I watched the replay of the final at Abu Dhabi Tournament between Federer and Nadal. Nadal won. The end of another marvellous day. Now I am going to see how 'Reacher' manages against 'Paulie' in the Lee Childs novel I am reading on my E-Reader.
It is the 2nd today and again fairly quiet. The B's went back to the PRADO and another museum whilst I prepared my packing, started looking in the shops and then went to meet them for lunch at the Tapas bar BJL had recommended yesterday. Problem was that when I arrived it was closed so we returned to the square and went to another restaurant in Plaza Sta Ana. Again I did not take details but I was a very nice restaurant and we had wine and I forget the rest.
After this we all went shopping. I bought a new smaller handbag, with the help of the B's. I must say BJL is very knowledgeable about these things and I have a lovely new medium sized hand bag in a very good colour but I do not know what colour it is - probably mushroom. BJK visited the farmacia for some antibiotics and I bought a DVD called Roma. We will start watching it tonight and we did check that we could get English language on the DVD, and we could. We managed only to watch two episodes of about 50 so I have further watching to do.
We are currently eating all the food we have in the apartment so we had wine and fruit salad for dinner – worked well.
Tomorrow we will catch the fast train to Barcelona, this trip should take about 3 hours and I am really keen to experience this ride.
On finishing our time in Madrid I thought I would add one or two more photos to enhance the memory.
On finishing our time in Madrid I thought I would add one or two more photos to enhance the memory.
| BJK and JLK in park in front of Royal Palace |
| The ?? Dome from Royal Palace Park |
| A well known Madrid sign |
| The Metropolis Building in Madrid with this lovely dome |
| Another view of the Metropolis |
| The Prado |
| BJL in front of the Prado |
| Typical "rugged up" appearance for BJK |
| The Christmas Lights throughout Madrid were lovely |
| The facade of a local building with murals on the wall in the Plaza Mayor |
| Same building just more of it in the Plaza Mayor |
| Statue in the Plaza Mayor |
No comments:
Post a Comment